Living up to my God given potential


The Great Commission "Go out and make disciples of all nations."

Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11

As most are today, I am remembering "where I was..." At the time, I was working at the local newspaper, in the accounting office. I had just gotten to my desk, when someone from the newsroom came in saying "a plane hit a building in NYC." A bunch of us went out to see what she was talking about. The tv in the newsroom had the news on. As we were watching the damage to the first building, the second building was hit, right before our eyes.

That morning was intense. It seemed like everyone in the world was waiting for "what's next?" Being in the news business, there was also the shuffle in the newsroom to get a Special Edition out, and round up "hawkers" to sell them. I remember not being able to sit still, so I volunteered to be one of the hawkers. I don't remember much about the actual job, just that I did it.

Although security at schools is more of the results of events, such as Columbine, it's still a world apart from my high school years. Everyone has a bar code on an ID and has to check in and out of classes, as well as the office. Security at airports is way different than before. If you happen to forget your Swiss Army knife (or $1 version of such a thing,) in your purse, it won't be there by the time you get on the plane. That's what happened on my way back from Oregon, last month. The retired Army Sargent, who was behind me in line, couldn't even bring his unopened can of pop to the waiting area. (So much for trying to save $2 at the snack shop.)

Ok a bit sidetracked there. My whole point is: how the acts of a handful of lunatics could change how we live and travel.

2 comments:

Janell said...

I had a conversation with some of the high school kids who work with me on 9/11. They all said they didn't know there was any such thing as the Twin Towers until thta day.

Tammie said...

Those lunatics are out there. This is why we need to be informed voters when we make that decision in 40 days. Who will best lead the country against the terrorists of the world who want nothing more than the U.S. military to be weakened? They are not our friends. We should not and cannot negotiate with them. Think about who those enemies want in our White House.

Oregon pictures